I get some really strong vibes about what God really meant so here goes:
(1) the prologue and prohibition of the worship of any deity but God;
The vibe I get from this particular commandment is, "Chill with other gods but don't go with the guy who wans you to eat feces."
(2) prohibition of idolatry;
Don't worship your car.
(3) prohibition of the use of the name of God for vain purposes;
Since it is unclear what vain means I wouls assume that God means don't change your name to god.
(4) observance of the Sabbath;
Take a vacation every seven days.
(5) honoring of one's father and mother;
Put them in nursing home as soon as possible.
(6) prohibition of murder;
Don't kill people who you like. Everyone else is okay.
(7) prohibition of adultery;
Don't get caught by your priest, rabbi or other spiritual leader.
(8) prohibition of stealing;
Don't steal it ...... unless you really really need it for a party.
(9) prohibition of giving false testimony;
Predoction of the OJ Simpson trial.
(10) prohibition of coveting the property or wife of one's neighbor.
Watch but don't touch.
Return to Online Tribute to Cronan Thompson.